Goldcliff, Saturday November 17th 2018.

A multitude of birds.

Dawn at Goldcliff today was overcast with light drizzle, but I was determined to make the most of it. There was plenty of bird activity and I soon clocked up Crows, Blue Tits, Jackdaws, Wrens, Chaffinches, Blackbirds, Robin, Magpies and a distant Pheasant. A group of Canada Geese flew off as I approached the first hide, and masses of Redwings and Fieldfares adjourned the Hawthorn bushes. A flock of Starlings flew past as did 3 Stock Doves as I walked into the first hide.

The first lagoon was quiet save for several Herring Gulls, Mallards and 2 Grey Herons, so I made my way to the next hide, stopping to watch 8 Moorhens, 33 Greylag Geese and numerous Woodpigeons along the way. A strange call from the top end of the reen caught my attention, and I listened to it for some time but the bird would not show. I played the sounds of different crake species on my phone and narrowed the call down to what I had suspected - Spotted Crake. Unfortunately the bird did not reveal itself and I could not locate it at all.  Eventually I moved on and on the second lagoon I watched a number of Pied Wagtails and a single Water Pipit along with a single Common Snipe and a Greenshank.  A Cettis Warbler called from behind me.

Lapwing and Dunlin taking flight.        

Shoveler and Shelduck showed well and a Merlin flew quickly along the seawall and out of sight.I soon made my way up to the sea wall watching Reed Buntings, a Chiffchaff, long Tailed Tits, Song Thrush,, Meadow Pipits and a Mute Swan along the way, and there was plenty of exposed mud to scan over, and I had a good mix of birds including a male Peregrine that put up the ducks and waders on a number of occasions, 2 Great Black-backed Gulls, a pair of Black-tailed Godwits, 130 Wigeon, 2 Cormorants, 56 Shoveler and numerous Curlew. By now the Sun had broke through the clouds and it was actually quite pleasant. A Kestrel hovered on the light breeze over the seawall and 2 Common Buzzards circled higher above.

Dunlin numbers had built up now to 352 but Lapwing numbers peaked at just over 600 - the highest count I have seen here for some time. Oystercatchers fed along the mud and 2 Redshanks made an appearance. A Sanderling was a lovely surprise amongst the Dunlin and the white of its underside showed well in the now strong sunlight. A Grey Plover called as it flew overhead and several Skylarks came in from over the sea with some Linnets. Black Headed Gulls fed along the mud, and from the third hide there was not much to see apart from 2 Little Egrets, 79 Teal, 120 more Wigeon and a female Marsh Harrier that flew up in the distance and caused more panic amongst the birds.

I returned to the seawall and spent another hour there before making my way back to the car park, watching 2 more Water Pipits, a Stonechat and a pair of Mistle Thrushes along the way and more winter thrushes. A Golden Plover called as it flew over. House Sparrows and a Collard Dove were also added to the list, and sadly the potential Spotted Crake was not relocated. It was however a great morning, very active bird wise and with plenty of Hawthorn berries to keep the thrushes happy for a while anyway.


Woodpigeons migrating overhead in an azure sky. All pictures copyright Neville Davies.

















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A well-travelled Great White Egret

The pine nut crackers

A sting in the tail