Y oh Y on such a cold night!

One evening this week I arrived home and there was a moth flying around the outside light. It was a particularly cold evening and it surprised me that a moth would be out and about. I managed to get a photo and identified it as a Silver Y.

I was surprised to learn that this is actually a migrant species, arriving in great numbers from the Continent in spring and late summer. I found reference to one Entomologist from Essex who caught 7,398 Silver Y attracted to his moth light in a single night.

The early migrants give rise to a second generation in the autumn so I am assuming this is one of those? Neither the moths or their caterpillars will survive the British winter, and the first frosts can start to finish them off.

What I liked about this species is the characteristic 'y' on the fore wing which can be read either as a Y or the Greek letter gamma (y). At 3.5 -5cm, this small but active moth feeds on the flowers of Clover, Teasel, Buddlea, Heather and Valerian. It certainly caught my attention when I got home.

Silver Y showing the characteristic marking on the fore wing. Picture copyright Neville Davies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A well-travelled Great White Egret

The pine nut crackers

A sting in the tail