A Wet Woodland Walk.

 Birch Mazegill.

Well the rain put paid to me going down to the Gwent Levels again today, so I decided instead on a few hours around the woodlands of the Cefn Onn Ridge. I guessed that the canopy would afford me some respite from the rain and it duly did. So with my camera at the ready, off I went in search of fungi. The first species I came across was a log covered in Jelly Ear fungus with some Cramp Balls close by. The usual Candle Snuff fungus protruded from logs partially hidden in the leaf litter.

Moving on to another section of the woods I found more Jelly Ear which seemed to be in profusion today, and a nice little group of Bonnet Mycenas. Nearby was Beech Woodwort and Turkey Tail, and clumps of Hairy Curtain Crust.  As I left this section of woods I spotted some rain drops that had formed on the fruiting bodies of Leucobreum Galucum moss (pictures below). It looked like nature had taken on an artistic moment and looked very pretty close up.

 

As I entered another section of the woods, I stopped to look into a large hole that has been formed by the water course eroding away the Limestone below. This hole is only about 5ft across but at least 10ft deep and at its base the ground falls away to a larger open area.  Here, I sometimes find Frogs and Toads that have gone into the hole, and although they can get out by following the system underneath, I sometimes give them a helping hand and remove them to safety, but this little fella was having none of it today.

Common Frog. 

I didn't find much more on the remainder of the walk apart from some Root Rot fungus and Birch Mazegills (top picture) and a species of Russula which I am still searching my mushroom books through to confirm its identity.  Despite the miserable weather, it was lovely to be out in the wild, enjoying the sound of the rain on the canopy above and savouring the sweet smell of the air.

All pictures copyright of Neville Davies.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A well-travelled Great White Egret

The pine nut crackers

A sting in the tail