Finally, GOLDCLIFF.

Well as some of you know I have been trying to get down to Goldcliff on the Gwent Levels for a number of Saturdays now, and with the combination of bad weather and running a bird course I finally got there this morning.

Canada Goose


There was a good mix of birds about and I started to see (from first light) Crows, Jackdaws, a Pheasant, Lesser Black-backed Gulls, Robin and 4 Common Gulls which was nice. From hide 1 I watched a male Peregrine perched on a rock on the island which subsequently stayed there all morning. Blackbirds and 2 Grey Herons were added to the list but there wasn't much else on the lagoon so I made my way slowly towards the sea wall, stopping off at one of the viewing platforms where a nice female Marsh Harrier was hunting (unsuccessfully) over the second lagoon. (Below male Peregrine).

Bird life from the sea wall fared better, and on the mudflats and out at sea I watched 77 Curlew, 17 Oystercatchers, Canada Geese, 536 Wigeon and 2 Great Black-backed Gulls. 160 Dunlin flitted past but disappeared out over the Pill. I was surprised to pick out in the telescope three distant Manx Shearwaters
which I can only assume had come closer in shore due to the high winds and rough seas?I reached hide 3 to find Blair Jones (blogspot the wildlifeoculus) and Simon Bedford                                                                         inside, who like me had been on the reserve since dawn.


A Water Rail showed briefly as did a Stoat, and Greylag Geese passed close by. A male Stonechat looked lovely in the light and a distant pair of Mute Swans flew past. The bird life slowed down again so I made my way back to the car park after  along chat with Blair and Simon. Several Meadow Pipits, Chaffinch, Moorhen, a Cormorant and a single Redwing were the only other birds to be added to my list. It was nice however to have got down to Goldcliff for a mixture of a change of scenery and some fresh salt air.

Rosehips which the winter thrushes have so far missed. All pictures copyright of N Davies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A well-travelled Great White Egret

The pine nut crackers

A sting in the tail