Keeping it calm.


With a few cobwebs still left to blow away, and with a reasonable forecast, I headed down to Peterstone sluice farm on the Gwent Levels. I was glad I came here as the sea was really calm, with Wigeon, Shelduck and Teal just floating on the gentle waves.  The tide was high and this had pushed in a selection of birds.

En-route to the spot where I scan out to sea I saw Chaffinches, Siskins, Blackbirds, Great Tit, Dunnocks, Meadow Pipits, numerous Song Thrushes, Magpies, Crows, Robins and Jackdaws. A tiny Wren belted out its loud early morning call and a Cettis Warbler called from the cover of the narrow strip of reeds, tantalisingly close but staying well hidden. Several Greenfinches flew overhead calling, and as I approached the water I could hear the distant calls of  Curlews and Redshanks.

 Resting Redshanks.

I approached the sea wall and immediately noticed how still and calm the sea was, with only the gentlest of waves. Numerous Wigeon and Teal had a small group of Shoveler mixed in along with eight (mostly male) Pintails. What a smart looking duck they are.  Redshanks were chattering away to each other and huddled together in groups on the Glassworts and Grasses - where I counted 236 birds, one of which had two orange rings on its lower left leg. I have submitted this sighting and hopefully I will receive some information on where it was ringed.

Shelduck were criss-crossing the calm water, leaving a nice reflection on the water as they past close to the subtle waves. Herring Gulls and Black-headed Gulls called noisily and a pair of first-year Great Black-backed Gulls passed close by. A small group of Dunlin took flight just as a group of 10 Ringed Plovers came in. After a pleasant couple of hours I made my way back to the car, watching a Common Buzzard, a male Reed Bunting and Blue Tits along the way.

Once at the car, I noticed four Pied Wagtails bathing in a puddle on the tarmac road in front of me, and just as I was about to start the engine, one flew onto the wipers and pecked around for a bit before moving onto the roof. I sat there and listened to its tiny feet on the car roof. One stayed to bathe some more and I was able to grab my camera from the boot, and enjoyed taking a number of photos before it flew off - one of which is added below. What a delightful morning.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A well-travelled Great White Egret

The pine nut crackers

A sting in the tail