That Robin's acting a bit fishy!

Birds can be very versatile when it comes to surviving on the food that is available to them. They are known for adapting to a variety of foods to ensure their survival. This has also proved the case with species being able to stay in the UK all year round as opposed to depending on the seasons. Take the Siskin or Common Crossbill for example. Here are two species that could be relied upon to arrive in autumn and winter during harsh times on the Continent when food was low and competition for food increased. The Siskin would arrive in the autumn and leave in the early spring, but now with milder winters and garden feeders, the Siskin's can, and do stay to breed here, and can be seen all year round. Similarly, with a high percentage of European Larch and Norway Spruce cones, the Crossbills have also stayed.
Once in a while however, birds can surprise us with their choice of food. I have seen this in my own garden where our resident Treecreeper would cling to the wall (instead of a tree as is the normal practice), and pick up the bits of fat balls that fell from the overhead feeder onto the top of the wall.

But on a trip to Dartmoor Zoological Park in Sparkwell, Devon this week, at the Tiger enclosure, I was absolutely amazed to see this Robin picking food from the edge of the water that is covered with Duckweed. At first I wasn't sure what it was catching, but upon closer inspection of the photo, unless I am mistaken, it appeared to be Sticklebacks?  Now, the diet of the Robin consists of invertebrates (especially Beetles), some fruit and during the autumn and winter - seeds as well. To see one actually taking advantage of this food source is not only a first for me but totally unexpected.

I will be sending a report into British Birds about this phenomenon, and it just goes to show, that in the interests of survival, birds can be very versatile in what they eat. The below picture I took in the grounds of the Welbeck Manor (Sparkwell) where we stayed, and is the first time I have ever got two Robins in the same picture.  My late fathers favourite bird was the Robin - I wonder if there was some significance here? I like to think he may be watching over me.
Pictures copyright N Davies.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A well-travelled Great White Egret

The pine nut crackers

A sting in the tail