The magic of Orchids.

Early Purple Orchid
My main interest is the birds, but I also enjoy a range of other interests such as fungi, wildlife in general and the plant world. Of all the plants, my favourite has to be the Orchid family, and around this time of year my excitement grows as I know the Orchids will be poking their way through the soil for their brief growing season.
There is an area of woodland I have been visiting for many years, and secluded within it are some special quiet areas, where only I know, and share only with the occasional Rabbits that venture through there and sometimes nibble away at the Orchids, but that is all part of nature. Today was no exception. This afternoon I walked amongst a carpet of Ramsons (Wood Garlic), which crunched softly underfoot giving off a strong but pleasant 'garlic smell. The tips of the plants were covered with the delicate white flowers, and there, in the same spot as I found them last year, and mixed in with the Ramsons, was a splash of deep purple - an Early Purple Orchid. The spotted leaves and the flower spike stood out amongst the Ramsons and the competing Dog's Mercury.  But more heart racing was to come.
Common Twayblade
I checked my usual spot for one of my favourite little orchids and was delighted to see (so far) a dozen little Twayblades poking through the soil, and showing off the diagnostic double leaves that grow opposite each other. One even had a flower spike appearing. Although it is called common it is in my opinion anything but. They are only found in selected areas, and although the flowers are green, what they lack in colour they make up for in character. They don't rely on chlorophyll hence the colour of the flowers, and can be incredibly hard to spot on the woodland floor nestled amongst the vegetation. I have known of this little flowering oasis for a number of years, and last year there were thirty specimens here, so they are spreading, albeit slowly.  Will this year top the thirty mark I wonder? 
Broad-leaved Hellebore
My friend Kerry who is a countryside ranger, shares the same enthusiasm and passion as me for the countryside, and as I trust him impeccably, I showed him my 'secret' site last year, and amongst the Twayblades he picked out an orchid that looked a little different. It turned out to be a Broad-leaved Hellebore, and we subsequently found just three more in the surrounding area. Today on our visit, the Hellebore was growing again, and sure enough, I located another one in roughly the same spot further along as last year. This is exciting now as over the next few months we will be re-visiting this area to watch their progress, and impatiently wait for the flower spikes to show off their magic.
One of the fifty Early Purple Orchids
The excitement was to continue for me today, as Kerry had been in an area close by a week ago, and told me of a new spot for some Early Purple Orchids, and after a wonder around looking at Toothwort, Dog Violets and Woodruff in flower, I was shown this new spot on the return walk. And there they were, in all their purple glory, standing proud on a steep bank. There was one, then another and another, and as we counted and seeing more and more, the final tally was FIFTY Early Purple Orchids, growing in a new part of this delightful little woodland. Little groups of purple delights stood there commanding our attention. The heart raced.  I love the orchids.
And what makes this area even more special is that I know that in the coming months, there will be Common Spotted Orchids, Heath Spotted Orchids and a special orchid for me, the Bird's Nest Orchid, all waiting to be watched, photographed and admired... More to come on this in a future blog post.












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A well-travelled Great White Egret

The pine nut crackers

A sting in the tail