The Large Emerald

Mamhilad Park Estate in Pontypool has large grounds stocked with mature trees including Birch which is a food plant for the Large Emerald moth - and also a lifer for myself.
As I walked into the foyer by the main building, I do what I do every time I pass, look on the whitewashed wall which regularly holds moths. This week there has been a Riband Wave moth on this wall, but this week I was thrilled to see the above beauty.

Its green colour struck me straight away, and I knew this was going to be a species I was not familiar with. Sure enough once identified, my suspicions were confirmed - a lifer. There are nine species in the UK with the Large Emerald being the largest of this group. It flies at night between June and August and prefers Beech woods, areas of Silver Birch, in Hazel coppices and along streams where Alder grows.

The caterpillar is called a 'looper' after the way it moves. It draws the rear end of its body up to the front so that it forms a loop, and they hatch in late summer and soon hibernate on the twigs of the food plant.  Over the winter months, they encase themselves inside a pad of silk attached to a twig. In the spring the caterpillars change colour from reddish-brown to green to camouflage themselves.

The Large Emerald lives for only about two weeks, so I could myself fortunate that I spotted this colourful moth this week.
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A well-travelled Great White Egret

The pine nut crackers

A sting in the tail