Finding the rare Tiered Tooth fungus


This is only the second time I have seen this species, and this one was growing on the same Beech tree that I found it on two autumns ago. Each autumn I check this special woodland for a variety of fungi, and this particular species is one I especially look out for - and early this evening it paid off.

The specimen I found two autumn's back was twice the size of this one, so I am hoping that upon my return visit it will have expanded it's size. Either way, this is still a fine specimen, and a rare one too.

The Tiered Tooth Hericium cirrhatum is indeed a very rare sight in Britain and Ireland, and it forms bracket-like tiers on the trunks. it is in fact an edible species, but to be honest, it is one edible species best left to grow where it is due to its rarity.  Besides, it is strictly illegal to pick Hericium fruitbodies in the UK.

The fruit body is a creamy white, forming irregular tiers from 5 to 15 mm across. The white flexible spines are 10 - 15 mm long and the spore prints white.  To say I was pleased to find this great species again is an understatement. This season has been spectacular so far for fungi.  Long may it continue.














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A well-travelled Great White Egret

The pine nut crackers

A sting in the tail