Salmon Salad anyone?


An early fungi foray paid off yesterday morning with another lifer for me. I came across this cluster of bright coloured fungi as I was walking back at the end of the foray. Other species had been seen but nothing new, but when I saw this I knew it was going to be a lifer for me.

At first I thought it may be Pigs Ear Fungus, but it didn't seem right. I couldn't think what else it could be and in the end I settled for Orange Peel Fungus - although the colour didn't seem right.  I pondered all afternoon and then I found what it was Salmon Salad.  I was overjoyed. This is indeed another lifer, and it was great specimen.

The Salmon Salad is a rare and significant find. The unusual, petal-like lobed fruit bodies grow in clusters. Each lobe is shaped like a trumpet with a split down each side. The flesh was gelatinous and even though this species is actually edible, it does not have a distinctive odour or taste to it (according to the books).

I always get a race in my heart when I find a fungi that I know is new for me, and never tire of natures diverse range of fungi colours and shapes. Long may this great fungi season so far continue.























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A well-travelled Great White Egret

The pine nut crackers

A sting in the tail