Dawn at the Point!


The forecast was for frost and clear skies - excellent, that means a dry day then. So off I head to the Point at Goldcliff, arriving at 07.45 after some time was spent defrosting the car. Upon arrival my birding friend Blair Jones was already there, with his cameras set up ready for the sunrise. As we waited, the calls of Curlew and Oystercatchers could be heard, and faint movements could be seen out on the mudflats ahead of us. Around 0810 the Sun peaked over the distant hill across the Bristol Channel, and it was surprising how quick it rose. Now with better light more and more birds could be identified, and a Grey Heron, Black Headed and Herring Gulls, Mallards and Wigeon could all be seen. A small raft of Teal were on the sea and two Common Redshanks were joined by a good count of 54 Turnstone.

 Distant Avocet enjoying a break

Blair was going to take in the lagoons at Goldcliff, but I had decided I was going to visit Red Barn and Boat Lane for a change, so we said our goodbyes and headed off respectively. Arrriving a little later at Red Barn I watched a flock of around 104 Lapwing and Mute Swans, but nothing much else of note. It was nice to walk through frosty fields for a change though, and lsitening to the crunching sound of the ice underfoot.

Canada Geese dropping in.

Soon I joined Boat Lane and the birding was a lot better here. As I approached the sea wall I watched a pair of Buzzards sat on the wall with a third flying overhead. Bullfinches and Chaffinches were feeding in the hedgerow, and a Cettis warbler called from the distant reeds, where the 'squealing' of a Water Rail echoed out from deep within.  At the sea wall I scanned over the salt marsh, but movement in the Buddlea bush adjacent to the wall caught my attention. A pair of Wrens showed themselves but I thought I had seen something a little larger. As I watched I could see more movement - it was a Chiffchaff. I knew there was something different in there. A Robin popped onto the wall and fed on tiny insects, its red breast contrasting against the bright yellow of Xantorina lichens.

A Robin showing off its red amongst the yellow of Xanthoria Aureola

Wigeon were strewn across the edge of the sea and a pair of Great Black-backed Gulls stood amongst the Mallard and Teal.  Seventeen Avocet were huddled in a tight flock, where nearby 53 Redshanks were mixed in together with 10 Knot and 42 Black-tailed Godwits. Dunlin were scurrying about amongst them and a male Stonechat flew in near to the wall and watched me intently for a few moments before flitting away. Three Skylarks called as they passed overhead and a lone Little Egret flew in and preened itself for some time at the waters edge.


















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A well-travelled Great White Egret

The pine nut crackers

A sting in the tail